I created this recipe for a long, long time ago and I still use it. It has been a tradition for both me and my sister to serve this chocolate mousse when we throw birthday parties! The mousse is quite rich, therefore a small amount will make you satisfied. Personally I prefer to eat it plain, but it also tastes really good with whipped cream and berries.
A very interesting thing I learned a couple of moths ago: We associate chocolate mousse with this creamy and fluffy consistency with many air bubbles. However, the air bubbles are actually just an industrial trick to reduce the amount of product while it still looks like a lot.
Here is the recipe. It’s enough for 4 big portions.
- 1 1/3 dl cream
- 150 grams chocolate, 70%
- 3 egg yolk
- 2 egg whites
- 65 grams icing sugar
- Whip the cream and place it in the fridge
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath. Add in the egg yolks
- Whip the egg whites and the icing sugar until it forms stiff peaks
- Mix the chocolate with the whipped cream and gently fold in the meringue
- Fill the mixture in glasses or a small bowl and keep them in the fridge