I’ve seen many recipes of vanilla rolls lately, and I get kind of sad because they’re not to be compared to with real vanilla rolls. I’m swedish but I live in Norway so I’ve grown up with these amazing pastries. And if you didn’t know, vanilla rolls and cinnamon rolls are originally from Sweden.
Every time I make vanilla rolls our house fills with this amazing smell and my whole body relaxes. And when I take the first bite I forget, just for a minute, all the bad and stressful things in life. They are crunchy on the outside and really soft inside, filled with a sweet flavour of vanilla, sugar and butter. I remember the warm summers when I was little, eating warm vanilla rolls and drinking rasperry juice. Oh, I’m alomst getting sentimental here…!
Here is the recipe for real swedish vanilla rolls, so please try this recipe next time! It makes 24 rolls.
- 150 grams butter
- 5 dl milk
- 50 grams yeast (I use fresh yeast, but you can use dry as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dl sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 13 dl wheat flour
- 100 grams buttet at roomtemperature
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar (use the good stuff)
- 1 egg and pearl sugar
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the milk.
- Put the yeast in a bowl and pour some of the liquid to dissolve the yeast. Pour the rest of the liquid, salt, sugar and cardamom in the bowl.
- Work the flour into the mix until the dough is smooth. Let rest for 40 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a clean table and spread some of the flour so the dough won’t stick. Divide the dough into two pieces, and roll each piece until thin and rectangle.
- Mix butter, sugar and vanilla sugar. Divide this mixture into two, and spread out to each of the doughs.
- Roll the dough so it looks like a roll cake and cut 12 equal pieces. Do this to both the doughs so it becomes 24 pieces.
- Put them on a baking sheet with some space between each other so they won’t stick together. Let rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C
- Brush the rolls with the egg and sprinkle with the pearl sugar.
- Put in the oven for 8-10 minutes.